It is crucial to get timely advice on international family law issues not least because the outcomes in different countries can vary significantly.
International family law clients
Our international children and Family Law experts have represented clients from a vast number of countries and have helped to deliver life changing results. Our lawyers draw on their specialist knowledge, transnational aids and worldwide contacts to advise a range of clients including
- UK nationals living or working abroad
- Foreign nationals living or working in England and Wales or considering moving to England and Wales
- Foreign nationals living abroad who want to divorce in England and Wales
- Parents whose children have been taken abroad without their consent
- Parents who want to relocate abroad or who want to generate or enforce arrangements affecting their children
- Parents seeking parental orders to deal with surrogacy or assisted reproduction
- Foreign trustees, settlors, beneficiaries and family offices
- Same sex couples seeking advice on their foreign marriage or civil partnership
- Foreign lawyers
International divorce and expat divorce
If your marriage has come to an end and there is no prospect of a reconciliation, where to divorce should be one of your primary considerations. As an expat, it may be that more than one country or jurisdiction is available to you. Choosing the wrong jurisdiction for your case could have catastrophic consequences and it is paramount that specialist advice is sought. In addition to international and expat divorce our team also advise on:
- jurisdiction disputes including advice on the most appropriate jurisdiction for divorce
- recognition of foreign marriages and divorces
- recognition of foreign/domestic civil partnerships and same-sex marriages
- financial provision following a foreign divorce
- enforcement of court orders abroad and foreign court orders in England and Wales
- cohabitation agreements
- pre and post nuptial agreements
International Children Law
Our specialist Child Law solicitors have a distinguished history of providing representation in international Child Law proceedings for all parties including local authorities, parents, children, CAFCASS, the Official Solicitor and international governments.
Our experts advice on all international Child Law issues relating to the international movement of children, whether international child abduction, a leave to remove application to take children permanently to live aboard, international surrogacy or adoption, forced marriage aboard, or vulnerable or trafficked children.
We also have expertise in urgent cases requiring injunctions, wardship and the inherent jurisdiction of the courts. We are regularly instructed in short notice cases where our specialists have sought emergency relief and protective measures, requiring a swift and appropriate response from the courts.